Thursday, January 10, 2013

1/8 Radio Show: Favorites from 2012

Tuesday's show featured some of my favorite songs from some of my favorite albums of last year-- with a healthy dose of local Bahston flavah. Disclaimer: this list is not in order and is by no means exhaustive.You can listen to the archived show here.


Beach House - Bloom
Track: Myth

 
Ty Segall - Twins

While Mr. Segall is undeniably a master of intense fuzz laden garage rock, I tend to gravitate toward his mellower stuff. Because I'm a huge wimp. This nice little acoustic ditty features Beatles-esque harmonies and showcases his ability to write an excellent, straightforward pop song.

 Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet on the Sky
Track: Don't Pretend You Didn't Know

I Bet on the Sky is Dinosaur Jr's third album since J, Lou, and Murph reunited in 2005. Mellower and cleaner than previous records (and is that some piano I hear underneath the guitar jangle?), this is Dino at their most melodic.

*Banditas - Save the Rats

I think I played Banditas on one out of every two shows this fall. See my interview with frontwoman Hayley Thompson-King here.


 MV & EE - Space Homestead

Tame Impala - Lonerism

*Creaturos - swampp thingg

King Tuff - King Tuff
Track: Bad Thing

Unabashedly catchy, glam-dusted garage pop that would do Marc Bolan proud.


 
Dum Dum Girls - End of Daze
Track: Mine Tonight

 *The Migs - Whatever Forever
Track: Pretty Ricky
  
White Fence - Family Perfume, Vol. 1

 *Cuffs - Private View 7"
Track: Private View


 
Sonny & the Sunsets - Longtime Companion
Track: Year of the Cock

 
 
*Debo Band - Debo Band 
Track: And Lay

A Boston-based Ethopian-inspired funk-rock extravaganza!

 Cuddle Magic - Info Nympho


Here is some other stuff I dug in 2012 that I would have played if I had more time:

Woods - Bend Beyond
Jessica Pratt - s/t
Barna Howard - s/t
*Full Tang - Intangible
Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II
Chain and the Gang - In Cool Blood
Grimes - Visions
 ...and there's tons I'm probably forgetting. I hate "Best of" lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment